Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Illustration Friday - Natural


© Joanna Pass

This weeks Illustration Friday theme fits perfectly into my current work.  I'm observing, photographing and painting Jackdaws.  We have a nesting couple in our disused chimney and a little gang that frequent our garden.  I'm very fond of the way they strut about!

This painting measures 30 x 45cm and I used Winsor and Newton watercolour paints on Hahnemuhle 300gsm hot pressed watercolour paper.  I'm new to using this paper and I wasn't sure at first (it's got quite a fuzzy surface) but I am amazed and delighted at how well the paper took the heavy washes.  No cockling and the paint didn't soak and dry too quickly, giving me time to work without dried paint edges appearing.  Brilliant!

1 comment:

Hirondelle said...

Thank you for stepping by at my blog. I was happy to discover yours! Love your birds!